Monday, July 20, 2009

A Change Is Gonna Come

I'm sitting here in front of the computer as I just put my son down to bed and I'm keeping my promise to blog more. As I begin this I really don't know what I should be sharing but I'm assuming as I type the words will come to me. I guess I should just start by saying what's going on, give an idea of "The Life and Times of a Renaissance Man". Tomorrow is my final shoot date on "Morning Glory". It's been a lot of fun and I'm trusting that another project will present itself very soon. That's one of the things I love about what I do, things can change so quickly and one day you can be sitting around with nothing on the horizon and before the week is out you have several things going on.

Here lately I have been spending a lot of time contemplating new directions in my stand-up comedy. I've just started getting onstage more often to work on material that touches on topics I'm passionate about. I've been encouraged by many people in my life because they keep saying that when I talk passionately about the things that matter to me when I'm amongst my family, friends and the people closest to me I'm at my funniest. For some reason I've always made people laugh without trying and it usually comes when I'm just being honest and saying how I really feel. I look forward to going to higher heights once I just let go and truly become the me that I am with friends when I'm onstage. A major factor in achieving that is abandoning the desire to be loved by everyone (I know kind of a tall order for someone who's decided to get into entertainment). I have to not care about the judgement of strangers and just be true to me. One thing I do know is that you're never gonna be loved by everyone and one of my biggest comedy heroes Bill Cosby has even said, "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone". I've even said myself, "there's only one person you have to go to bed with every night and that's yourself, so you gotta do what's gonna make you happy". So watch out. I may say some things that people aren't expecting from me in the near future and if I ruffle a few feathers maybe I'm doing something right.

A lot of people know me as a "clean" or non-cursing comedian. This doesn't mean I'm gonna do a full turn and become Rick "Raw Dawg" Younger, but you never know. Just kidding, a little bit, but maybe not. But if you're thinking about judging me if I say something you don't like, ask yourself, What Would Jesus Do? I think he would forgive me!!!

1 comment:

  1. I think that it's smart and ultimately more artistically fulfilling to focus on work that pleases you.

    Johanna has been working on this for a while and her decision to transition to musical theatre has been challenging but the growth that she's made has been terribly rewarding.

    As a partner I am proud of her for taking a step that really fuels her. As an artist she has my greatest respect.

    Bravo on your choice, sir.

    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete