Friday, August 14, 2009

Taking Things Into My Own Hands

It's been a few weeks since I blogged. A lot has been going on, mostly moving into a new apartment. Moving as an adult with a small child is hard work. In this day of cyber-friends and social networking, it really drives home the difference between cyber-friends and real friends. A real friend is someone who helps carry a dresser or a sofa, or anything that's so bulky that it might impale you. Not to say that I only have 4 real friends, but the other real friends who didn't help carry heavy stuff probably have been there for other "heavy" situations that maybe kept me out of jail or helped greatly reduce a fine. My point is that after a while, you find out that real friends are few and far between and they're there for you when you really need them.

Since my last blog entry some other exciting things have happened too. My film "Whistle & Snap" screened at the Roxbury Film Festival and was well received. I was so nervous as I watched and listened to the audience watch our film. It's really different when you have written, produced and star in your own project. When I do someone elses material as an actor, I can always seperate myself from people's reaction and reception of the material. I can always say, "hey, I just do what they put on the paper, I did the best I could with what they gave me". Also, unlike when I do stand-up, I can improvise and adjust according to the audience I'm in front of, but with a completed film all I could do is see how what we produced came across to the audience at hand. The ice was broken when I heard the first laugh from the audience. It was actually quite exhilirating. I was both encouraged and inspired to continue creating and producing. It made me feel empowered and let me know I'm doing the right thing by taking my fate in my own hands and becoming a producer and writer. I'm looking forward to Younger Child Productions' next project(s). I have a feeling that directing is in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment