Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Count Your Blessings

I'm back and it only took a couple of days. It seems like whenever I post to my blog another good thing happens for me to blog about. That should be incentive for me to increase my blogging frequency. The latest good thing is that I just received notice that my film, "Souled Out Comedy" has been chosen to screen at the Mid-Atlantic Black Film Festival. "Souled Out Comedy" is the documentary about the show that I produced and performed on with some of my favorite comedian/friends. It stars Marc Theobald, Dean Edwards, Leighann Lord, Wali Collins, Mike Yard and Rick Younger(yeah that's me, I love to take every opportunity I can to speak of myself in the 3rd person).

It seems lately that things are going pretty well for me. Although that may seem like something that a person should be able to clearly see and acknowledge, I find myself having to remind myself about how blessed I am. I'm sure I'm not the only person who sometimes has a hard time enjoying the ride. My ambition often has me so busy looking forward to the next accomplishment that I totally miss what is right before my very eyes. I guess I'm just saying this to remind myself that I'm living the dream and I have to wake up and keep my eyes open to see how great the dream is. It's like when an artist is working on his masterpiece, he periodically has to step back and take a look at the big picture and take it all in. That's an important thing to do because if you can't be happy along the journey to your ultimate goals, you'll find yourself unhappy once you reach your goals. I definitely don't want to be the guy who's making $20 million plus a film and driving people crazy because I'm still not satisfied(that's right I'm gonna make $20 million plus a film, remember you heard it here first). Right now as I write this I'm singing a song to myself that we used to sing in church when I was a kid, "Count Your Blessings". After you finish counting your blessings you always seem to see that you're way more blessed than you realized.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on all of your films that have recently been selected for viewing. And I agree with you about counting blessings and being happy in the journey. It's all in how you look at things and especially at your challenges. It's looking for the opportunity in them and being grateful, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great (and timely) post. Count your blessings... I have to say that in the midst of the storms of life, sometimes that simple counting game can help you hold on to the frayed edges of your life. Good post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rick,
    Great things are happening for/to you because it's your time and you only have to take a look at your immediate circle I'm sure, to see why bigger and better things will soon come your way.

    ReplyDelete