Monday, April 13, 2009

Making the Cut

Last week was quite a hectic and exciting week. I shot a commercial in my hometown of Baltimore for the Maryland Lottery, I found out I was nominated for a MAC Award, and I appeared on an episode of "Law & Order: SVU". I really felt like a working entertainer and a Renaissance Man.

All of the things going on really made me think about how much the life of an entertainer is about making the cut. So many auditions, so much rejection. Seeking the approval of others all while trying to maintain your sanity and put your best foot forward. I learned a long time ago it's not just about talent. As a matter of fact, many of the most talented people quit working much earlier than the non-talented. The next time you see someone extremely successful and you can't figure out what their talent is, it's probably persistence.

I was extremely happy to make the cut and appear on "Law & Order: SVU" last week because it was a long journey. As most people who haven't been buried under a rock are aware of, the "Law & Order" franchise has 3 shows. I've been fortunate to be cast in all 3 but unfortunately, up until April 7, 2009 all of my "L & O" appearances ended up on the cutting room floor. It was actually starting to get comical and I'm sure I would be laughing heartily while rolling on the ground holding my belly if it wasn't me getting cut out of every episode of "Law & Order" I ever taped. It was actually starting to make me think I was a ghost or a vampire.

The first time I got cut, I saw it coming. I had one line in a scene with Chris Noth on "Criminal Intent". The director didn't even bother to give me any direction and my dressing room was a trailer on the side of the road that didn't even have a window. I watched the episode I was supposed to be in with my family and actually told them when and where I was supposed to be, "see right there, I was supposed to be right there. Chris Noth was actually talking to me right there, but I guess they figured they could tell the story without having my one line input".

The second time I got cut was a little bit more of a surprise. I was on original "Law & Order" and I played a Crime Scene Investigator who was on the witness stand being questioned by one of the leads, Sam Waterston. I even got cross examined by the defendant's lawyer. I was like, "no way I'm getting cut this time, I'm in a scene with the lead character and I got cross examined. I even think I'm giving some vital information to help solve the case". Obviously my info wasn't that important, because they told the story without my input.

When I got cast on "Law & Order: SVU", I was prepared to get cut again. I figured it would make for one of those great stories for people to pass on when I'm so famous that it wouldn't matter to me anymore. People would say, "did you know that Rick Younger was cut from episodes of all 3 Law & Orders? Yeah, come to find out he used to be a vampire, but he got the antidote and went on to compile an impressive body of work and go on to win 3 Academy Awards. So don't give up". Yes, I went on to become one of the greats!!!

This time I figured I was gonna not be afraid. If I got cut, then that was just the way it was meant to be. I went all out and posted on all of my Facebook pages, sent out e-mails and Twittered about the upcoming episode. I had lots of people watching, TIVO'ing and DVR'ing the blessed occasion. I was even prepared to tell people how things go sometimes in showbiz if I did get cut. I watched at home with baited breath and sweaty palms as the hour seemed to go by and finally 40 minutes into the episode I appeared onscreen. What a relief!!! I didn't have to prepare a written statement or regretful Facebook status. I made the cut!!!

I'm glad it all worked out. Not making the cut would not have made me less of a Renaissance Man but it is kinda good to not have to say a bunch of reassuring affirmations. One thing i can say is that I'm Living My Dream. I enjoy what I do and I try to enjoy the process that leads to the work and not just rejoice in getting the job.



2 comments:

  1. I'm just glad you weren't the rapist!!!!!
    JerzeeChick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. Thanks for making me smile with your blog. Comedy/Entertainment can be so depressing at times:-(. Your blog makes me remember to keep pushing!

    ReplyDelete