Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Joy of Fatherhood

Here I am, finally posting to my blog once again. Since it's called the Life and Times of a Renaissance Man I guess I should tell you about my life and times. I'll try to be as open as possible but you know I think we all have things we don't share. Let's make a deal, if ever I post and I leave out any details that need more clarification, just leave a comment asking the question(s) that you need answered.

First let me give you a little bit of explanation as to why I call myself a Renaissance Man. Like many of the people who made the Renaissance Period famous, I too do many things. I'm a comedian, singer, actor, writer, producer, etc. I add etc. because the list seems to keep growing.

So many things have been happening lately. Right now I have 3 national commercials running for Starburst, Hotels.com and ESPN. I'm also appearing on "Law & Order: SVU" on April 7th. In addition to that, Younger Child Productions has moved into the area of film producing with the completion of our full length documentary, "Souled Out Comedy" as well as our Mockumentary short, "Whistle & Snap" going into post production.

The latest addition to the renaissance list is Father. That's actually jumped to #1 on my list. It's my greatest joy and I'm not even surprised by it. I always said I wanted to be a father and I delayed the experience because I didn't want to become a father until I was at a place in my life where I could be present and able to provide and support my child(ren). So it took me 40 years. Yep, I'm one of those dudes who's gonna have to stay in the gym so that he can be in shape to chase after his son. I've actually already joined Weight Watchers and I've lost 25.4 pounds so far.

As I type this I'm looking at my son make funny noises as he sits in his "Jump & Go". He's saying something and I have no clue what it is. It's probably, "Hey man, get me out of this 'Jump & Go' and do something enriching with me instead of typing on that computer", or maybe he's saying, "Why don't you go outside and beat up those guys who're hammering beneath the window closest to my crib?". Everyday there's something new. I'm just glad to see that he's actually showing signs that he likes me. The first few months I wasn't so sure about the little dude. Don't get me wrong, I was crazy about him but it really didn't seem like I was meeting his discriminating standards. I was trying to tell him, "Hey I make strangers laugh all the time and they act like they like me and I don't even provide them with food and lodging", but that didn't impress him. It was like he was the cool kid in high school. I spent all of my time smiling at him trying to meet his approval and he just looked at me with a deadpan expression. I know he was laughing on the inside and I even think he was communicating with other babies and telling them, "My father thinks he's funny, I mean he's alright but I can't let him know I think he's cool and that he's got good material"(in that way I think he's a lot like the industry professionals who haven't given me my own TV Show yet).

Then one day he smiled! That was all I needed. I was like, "You love me, YOU REALLY LOVE ME!!!". I'm glad he does because I love him oh so much. He's changed me, just like all the cliches you ever heard about what having kids can do. One of my biggest change is my sensitivity. I cry a lot now. I've cried while watching "Real Sports on HBO", in the middle of conversations that have to do with family, when leaving my parent's house, whenever my son, father and I are in the same room together... I think you get what I'm saying.

I guess I said all of this to say. I just want to be the best man that I can be so that I'm a good example for my son. I'm also striving to be like him. He's forgiving, honest, and he gets everything he wants. It's a pretty sweet set-up and on top of all of that he has a better blog than his "old man". Yes the "Youngest Younger" has a blog(that's what happens when you're mother is an actor and a writer).



No comments:

Post a Comment