Wednesday, November 4, 2009

You Can't Please Everybody

So the Life and Times of this Renaissance Man has consisted mostly of taking care of the Youngest Younger. This week I'll be telling jokes at the NY Comedy Club on the 8PM Show(The Clayton Fletcher Show) and I'll be returning to NBC's, "Today Show" on Thursday, November 12th as a part of the recurring segment, "Guys Tell All".

One of the challenges of writing this blog is making myself sit down and get to work. Sometimes I'm hoping that the sky will open up and I will be hand delivered a wonderful topic complete with all of the perfect words to say. Then I also tend to put pressure on myself if the previous post was an inspiration to someone. Then I feel like I have to continue to be an inspiration.

Life never fails to give me things to write about it seems. I'm constantly learning lessons and I try to keep myself open to learning something everyday. One point that was driven home to me recently is that you're never gonna be loved by everyone. Even when it seems like you're on a roll, you're always gonna have your detractors. That's just the way it is. Even Jesus had "haters". I bet there were people who witnessed his first miracle who had something bad to say, "look at Jesus showing off turning water into wine, he thinks he's all that! I tasted the wine it wasn't even that good, you'd think if he was gonna go through all the effort to change water into wine he at least would have made it good wine".

I've seen it so often with me and my fellow stand-up comics. We have some type of instinct that makes us focus on the one person in the crowd that's not laughing. That's something I've worked hard at trying not to do, but so many time human nature takes over and I'm focusing on the stone faced dude who just won't laugh. We all do it, even if we're not stand-up comedians. I guess I'm just saying all of that to say, you can't please everybody. Something I say a lot is, "there's only one person you have to go to bed with every night and that's yourself. Try to make that person happy. Anyone else you make happy along the way is just a bonus".

1 comment:

  1. I agree. There will always be some haters. I think you are funny. That one person may have been paralyzed. That's the only way that anyone could keep from laughing at Rick Younger. Keep doing what you are doing, my brother.

    ReplyDelete