Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Keep At It

Since my last blog post, I shot a commercial for T-Mobile, attended the Urban Mediamakers Film Festival for the screening of my film "Whistle and Snap" and made another appearance on the "Today Show" on the recurring segment, "Guys Tell All".

I've been sitting in front of the computer for quite some time trying to do this post that you're reading. Yes, you are reading this, even if you're the only one. I made the mistake of opening other windows as I attempted to start blogging. I've chatted and checked e-mails, stopped to eat, poured myself a glass of wine all to finally decide to get started. I guess that's also makes up the Life and Times of a Renaissance Man, the starting and stopping and the journey one has to take to create. It can be a circuitous route that one takes to the final product but it's a great journey with every inch of it necessary to get to the final destination.

I recently attended a writing workshop where the instructor discussed how most creative people spend a large percentage of their time tearing down their own efforts. I have to admit that I've definitely witnessed it amongst my artistic colleagues. We allow our inner critic to shoot down whatever we attempt before we dare unveil it before the world. Another thing that she shared with us is that anyone who still has artistic aspirations after the age of 12 is truly extraordinary because we're presented with so many obstacles that make us feel that we'll never be successful. I guess I'm sharing that info to pass on some encouraging words. Don't let your inner critic or any outer critics stop you from doing what you want to do. The visions and aspirations in your mind are messages from God telling you what you can achieve if you don't give up. Following your dreams can be a lonely road. There are times when you have to go alone, but that's a part of the journey. It's your dream and with that said, you have to do it for yourself. Just keep at it, just like I did tonight to finally complete this blog post!



1 comment:

  1. Ignore your inner critic and ignore the outer critic! Great advice. Thanks for the reminder that being creative is a gift. My approach is to treat myself like I'm my own kid. I would never berate my baby for making a mistake.

    ReplyDelete